What is a Personal Brand?
A Personal Brand is a personal identity that stimulates precise, meaningful perceptions in its audience about the values and qualities that a person stands for. (Peter Montoya)
Why a century by Sachin is enjoyed more than a century by any other cricketer?
Why do we have people build temples for Amitabh Bachchan (a famous Indian film star) and not for any other equally successful movie star? Is it the sheer talent possessed by these individuals or something beyond that? Are these people consciously building their “personal brand”?
Just like companies brand their products to create some unique associations in the minds of the target consumers, personal branding also involves the creation of strong, unique and favourable associations in the minds of the people around. But unlike products that are consciously marketed to build and maintain brand values, personal brands are built unconsciously most of the times. Even if a person does not brand himself consciously, others automatically create some associations about him depending on his nature, habits, dressing, etiquettes and other elements of his image. It happens to most of us and we do the same for other people. Therefore one should play an active role in creating a brand for oneself by proactively choosing the Image that one projects.
Steve Van, author of Get Slightly Famous, points out the following
advantages of branding oneself:
· Differentiate yourself from others/ competition
· Position your focused message in the hearts and minds of your target
Customers or people who matter
· Confers “top of mind” status
· Increases authority and credence of decisions
· Places you in a leadership role
· Enhances prestige
· Attracts the right people and opportunities
· Adds perceived value to what you are selling
· Earns recognition
· Associates you with a trend
· Increases earning potential